Managing sporting head injuries
- If on the field, approach with MILS (ideally from the front) and think, “Neck?”.
- DR ABC assessment – having an open airway is the absolute priority.
- Unconscious? – maintain MILS and continue to shout for help.
- Combative? – let go and “talk the casualty down”.
- Conscious? – make an assessment for symptoms of neck injury - “Do you have pain in your neck?”
- Remove all concussions from field of play and seek medical assessment.
- Never leave any head injury unsupervised and do not allow the casualty to drive.