Pocket masks are widely available and, as the name suggests, are a simple device that help the rescuer provide ventilations without skin-to-skin contact. They usually come in a hard case and collapsed down. They need assembling prior to use.
Rescue breaths via a pocket mask
Using a pocket mask
- Open the device and unfold the central portion.
- Attach the filter to the narrow port of the mask.
- Place it over the mouth and nose with the narrow part covering the nose.
- With your thumbs holding the mask over the cheekbones, reach all of your fingers under the line of the jaw.
- Pull the jaw forward – towards the mask to help open the airway.
- Deliver rescue breaths as described previously.
CPR pocket mask