Application of an AED
- Open and apply the AED as soon as it arrives.
- Minimising interruptions to CPR is a priority – continue high quality chest compressions.
- Remove/cut clothing over the front of the chest.
- Dry the chest if wet.
- Apply the sticky pads as shown on the labels.
- Only stop compressions when the machine tells you to.
- If shock is advised, it will tell you when it is charged and ask you to press a button to shock.
- As soon as the shock is delivered, commence CPR again immediately.
- The device will automatically assess the casualty for a further shock after two minutes.
Note that some models are fully automatic and will deliver the shock itself without the need to press a button.