The five stages of Tackle Ready
The tackle contest will always involve a minimum of two people – the tackler and the ball-carrier.
This system provides detailed information for both coaches and players on the following stages of the tackle:
The following chapters detail Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for each of the stages as well as providing sample activities which be be used with players. Activities preparing the players for contact are also provided.
When introducing Tackle Ready within your rugby organisation, coaches should consider the following:
- Does your rugby organisation have a tackle culture?
- Do you have a structured tackle system?
- What are the key elements within your tackle system?
- How do you measure its effectiveness?
- How effective are you at coaching the tackle?
- How effective are your players in performing safe and effective tackles?
- Do you make individual tackle technique important enough?
- Do you give your players accurate feedback and action planning to continually improve their tackling?
- Do you dedicate enough time and resource to training the tackle?
- How can you prepare your players effectively taking Player Load into consideration?