What is Activate?
Activate is a structured, progressive exercise programme that is designed to be used as part of training sessions and pre-match warm-up routines.
The programme was developed using scientific evidence and expert opinion, whilst feedback from active coaches helped to ensure that the programme is suitable to use across community-level rugby settings.
There are four versions of Activate:
- Under-15 (Age 13–15 years)
- Under-16 (Age 15–16 years)
- Under-18 (Age 16–18 years)
- Adult (Age 18+ years)
Each version contains several progressive levels to be used throughout the playing season.
All versions of the programme share a similar structure and contain the same types of training activities:
- balancing and hopping exercises to improve general movement control
- body weight and partner resistance exercises to develop lower and upper body strength and control
- plyometric exercises to develop lower and upper body power
- landing and side-stepping to develop control and technique when performing these activities during play
Research has shown that the programme can reduce the number of injuries to muscles and ligaments (by 26-40%) and the number of concussions (by 29-60%) in youth and adult community-level rugby players. Using the programme more frequently has also been shown to further lessen injury risk.