The important message in the management of facial soft tissue injuries is to clean the wound of all debris - a clean toothbrush is often very useful.
What are you trying to achieve with your management of soft tissue injuries?
- Optimal healing with minimal aesthetic or functional deficit
- Avoid worsening the situation
- Repair of damaged tissue
- Minimal scarring
Principles of management of facial injuries:
Assess for other injuries
- Primary survey
- Secondary survey
Clean the wound
- Clean thoroughly with saline as dirty wounds may tattoo permanently
- May be difficult and a pen-held diathermy may be useful.
- The “clip and tie “method may be used with a resorbable suture material
Local or regional anaesthesia
- Sutures, staples, would closure adhesive strips or glue